Junior Data Analyst
Company: University of Minnesota
Location: Saint Paul
Posted on: January 23, 2023
Apply for JobJob ID352156
Employee ClassCivil Service
Add to Favorite JobsEmail this JobAbout the Job
Seeking a Junior Data Analyst to support the Clinical Informatics
Shared Services (CISS), .Principle Duties:
Informatics Consultation: Ensure that all informatics services
follow team and university policies and operating procedures
* Ensure that all informatics activities meet various compliance
standards, IRB, data security, and contractual obligations of the
University of Minnesota.
* Follow operating procedures, forms, and policies of the team.
Discuss enhancement opportunities with team management.
* Strive for the best quality of service experience and excellent
user satisfaction feedback.
* Follow-up with investigators and staff to ensure delivered
services meet users' expectations. Assist with refinements when
* Train users on data access methods, analysis tools, and
* Create consultation reports that capture project requirements and
the implementation plan. Update the report as per continuous
communication with investigators
* Capture requirements for various types of projects (research,
quality and operational projects, study recruitment, etc.).
Technical: Extract, integrate, format, and deliver data as per
* Extract and/or create reports needed for departmental operations
or regulatory needs (such as FDA reporting or industry sponsor
* Run feasibility analysis to ensure project requirements can be
processed through offered informatics services.
* Assess raw data/primary data availability and quality. Work with
users to transfer raw data into required format for project
* Query, extract, integrate, format, deliver and analyze data as
per project needs.
* Explore and investigate various ways of identifying patients when
data elements are not clear or available. Propose alternatives to
users and clarify key points of each alternative.
* Work closely with other team members to review execution plans
and request support.
* Continually seek to improve knowledge of new clinical
* Identify informatics infrastructure enhancement opportunities
that could benefit the larger research community.
Communication: Work with investigators, research personnel and
other stakeholders to promote informatics services and represent
* Keep investigators and staff informed on offered CTSI Informatics
* Coordinate user testing/usability evaluation of offered services
and capture needs for potential future enhancements
* Ensure service delivery progress concerns, delays and issues are
regularly communicated with team management.
* Represent the team, as needed, in various meetings, such as: IRB,
Office of Compliance, data stewards, research committees, and
* Communicate with data stewards from different organizations to
most effectively deliver data as per project requirements.
* Initiate regular user group meeting to discuss departmental
* Attend vendor based conferences or meetings at times to better
* Work as a liaison between the team and other units on selected
informatics components and databases, recommend standardized data
collection process for automatic data extraction, provide
requirements for automation, etc.
Informatics ETL Maintenance and Support: Maintain and enhance
existing code, process, and reports
* Maintain and support existing ETL Processes and Procedures
* Become a subject matter expert in data and tools to efficiently
support any data mapping efforts needed by other team members for
* Advocate best practice policies and procedures for data
* Identify and assess performance tuning opportunities.
* Create data dictionary and document dependencies by reverse
engineering from existing code and data.
Required qualifications must be documented in application
materials. Required Qualifications:
* BA/BS with 2+ years of relevant analytical or quantitative work
experience, or a combination of related education and work
experience to equal 6 years. Experience must include a minimum of 1
year of experience querying, extracting ,transforming, formatting,
and analyzing Clinical data.
* Experience working with clinical data and healthcare code sets
(ICD9/ICD10, NDC/RXNorm, LOINC, etc.).
* Experience working with messy real-world data
* Experience in query development skills (such as, MS SQL Server,
SSIS, T-SQL programming, PL/SQL or Oracle tools).
* Good Understanding of Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) concepts
* Knowledge of healthcare data management concepts and
regulatory/compliance policies (HIPAA, IRB, etc.).
* Ability to participate in occasional domestic travel to attend
conferences or training workshops
* Ability to support multiple projects simultaneously and
* Comfortable providing rapid and timely response to urgent
requests that impact clients
* Knowledge of clinical trials, research and operations.
* Experience working with research lab data and Bio specimens.
* Strong customer-facing experience, preferably with Clinical
Trials office leaders, study team supporting trials, investigators,
faculty/academic and research support staff.
* Good understanding of relational database modeling and access
* Experience working with MS Access
* Skills in data visualization
* Research experience in statistics, data science or related
* Experience with basic machine learning or statistical analysis
using R, Matlab, or Python
* Experience in report writing using SSRS and Jasper Reports.
* Experience working with version control tools like Tortoise
* Experience working with a Cloud-based database
* Experience working with batch scripts and VBA scripts
Working at the UniversityAt the University of Minnesota, you'll
find a flexible work environment and supportive colleagues who are
interested in lifelong learning. We prioritize work-life balance,
allowing you to invest in the future of your career and in your
life outside of work.The University also offers a comprehensive
benefits package that includes:
- Competitive wages, paid holidays, and generous time off
- Continuous learning opportunities through professional training
and degree-seeking programs supported by the
- Low-cost medical, dental, and pharmacy plans
- Healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- University HSA contributions
- Disability and employer-paid life insurance
- Employee wellbeing program
- Excellent retirement plans with employer contribution
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
- Financial counseling services
- Employee Assistance Program with eight sessions of counseling
at no costPlease visit the for more information regarding
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this
position, please click the Apply button and follow the
instructions. You will be given the opportunity to complete an
online application for the position and attach a cover letter and
resume.Additional documents may be attached after application by
accessing your "My Job Applications" page and uploading documents
in the "My Cover Letters and Attachments" section.To request an
accommodation during the application process, please e-mail
email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity
and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its
employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is
committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying
identities and backgrounds.The University of Minnesota provides
equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and
employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national
origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance
status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or
gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U:
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful
completion of a background check. Our presumption is that
prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal
convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from
Please note: All employees at the University of Minnesota are
required to comply with the University's Administrative Policy:
COVID-19 Vaccination and Safety Protocol by either providing proof
of being fully vaccinated on their first day of employment, or
complete a request for an exemption for medical exemption or
religious reasons. To learn more please visit:
About the U of M
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC)The University of
Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC), is among the largest public research
universities in the country, offering undergraduate, graduate, and
professional students a multitude of opportunities for study and
research. Located at the heart of one of the nation's most vibrant,
diverse metropolitan communities, students on the campuses in
Minneapolis and St. Paul benefit from extensive partnerships with
world-renowned health centers, international corporations,
government agencies, and arts, nonprofit, and public service
Keywords: University of Minnesota, St. Paul , Junior Data Analyst, Professions , Saint Paul, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!