Program Assistant, Vision Program
Company: Helen Keller International
Location: Saint Paul
Posted on: November 25, 2022
Program Assistant, Vision Program
(Greater Twin Cities Area, MN)
Guided by the remarkable legacy of its co-founder, Helen Keller,
Helen Keller Intl partners with
communities that are striving to overcome longstanding cycles of
poverty. By delivering the
essential building blocks of good health, sound nutrition and clear
vision, we help millions of
people create lasting change in their own lives. Working in more
than 20 countries - across
Africa, Asia, Europe and the United States - and together with a
global community of
supporters, we are ensuring every person has the opportunity - as
Helen did - to reach their
Recognizing a lack of accessible, adequate vision care among
low-income adults and children
in the US, Helen Keller International established the US Vision
Program (formerly known as
ChildSight . Since 1994, Helen Keller has provided free vision
screenings for more than 2.2
million individuals in the United States and provided more than
375,000 of them with
prescription eyeglasses to solve common vision problems.
Helen Keller is seeking a Program Assistant to join the dynamic
Minnesota Vision Program
team, servicing the greater Twin Cities community.
* Travel to schools/programs in target communities with required
materials to administer
screening assessments to students per US Vision Program
* Partner with representatives at host location to set up space
according to guidelines to
ensure safe and smooth operations. Break down and pack up at close
* Conduct on-site program processes such as vision screening,
eyeglass selection and ordering, assembly and distribution of
eyeglasses, and completion of
all program paperwork.
* Promote follow-up eye care by conducting educational information
sessions to program
participants and families, parents/guardians regarding the
screening assessment, vision
health, potential vision difficulties, and treatments.
* Cultivate and maintain relationships with key program partners to
assist in gathering
information and collecting data on program participants.
* Collect and prepare data results from impact surveys and share
results with the Program
* Assure understanding and adherence to HIPAA policy and
* Follow the proper maintenance procedure of all files, records and
documents relating to
Helen Keller program activities based on developed HIPAA protocol
* One-year certificate from college or technical school; plus 1-2
years related experience or
equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Experience working in school and/or health settings and with
* Solid organizational skills and reliable attention to detail.
* Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate
effectively across cultures.
* Willingness to travel within the targeted communities,
potentially using own personal vehicle,
with supplemental business insurance to be reimbursed by Helen
* Demonstrated ability to liase effectively with community
partners, troubleshoot issues,
propose solutions and take proactive approaches to improve
o asking for information in a way that is clear and specific
o interacting with internal colleagues and community partners with
diplomacy and tact
* Oral and written proficiency in Spanish is strongly
* Ability to work independently and prioritize workload, assume
responsibility for work, and
follow through to completion.
* Ability and willingness to work under pressure with a positive
attitude as a part of a team.
* Demonstrable respect for all persons regardless of religion,
ethnicity, class, or gender, with
a high comfort level working in a diverse environment with a
demonstrated commitment to
high professional, ethical standards.
* Basic computer literacy sufficient to input quality data into
database of record.
* Ability to lift and transport boxes of eyeglasses and/or required
daily program equipment that
may weigh up to 25 pounds.
* Helen Keller International requires all staff to be fully
vaccinated (including one booster)
against COVID-19, whether or not they have had COVID.
The midpoint of the salary range for this position is $21.60 per
hour with a minimum of $18 and
a maximum of $25.20 per hour.
Actual base salary may vary based upon, but not limited to,
relevant experience, base salary of
internal peers, and business sector.
The position is part-time with variable hours each week and is
primarily active during the
academic year when schools are open.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
In the spirit of our namesake, Helen Keller
is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce where diversity is
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer where all qualified applicants
will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,
national origin, age, sexual
orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, or
protected veteran status.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to
disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability
and need to request an
accommodation during the application or interview process, please
contact us at the
email above or call: +1 646-356-1789.
Keywords: Helen Keller International, St. Paul , Program Assistant, Vision Program, Other , Saint Paul, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!