Company: Saint Paul Public Schools
Location: Saint Paul
Posted on: May 13, 2022
The primary function of the Secondary Indigenous Curriculum TOSA
position is to work with MN State Standards and Benchmarks to
ensure Indigenous related standards/benchmarks are reflected in
resources, materials, lesson plans and culturally relevant
instruction. - The TOSA will work with content leads on areas of
need, design and facilitate synchronous and asynchronous
professional development for grade level teachers and support
implementation of Indigenous related standards and benchmarks using
culturally responsive pedagogy. - This project extends through
SY22-23 and SY23-24.
Responsibilities:The essential functions include, but are not
limited to, the following fundamental duties:
- Work with content leads, starting with Social Studies, to build
repositories of resources, materials and lesson plans for
Indigenous related standards and benchmarks.
- Develop, facilitate and maintain professional development for
various grade levels and content for Indigenous related standards
- Work with teachers on implementation of Indigenous related
standards aligned resources, materials and lesson plans. -
- Experience with Indigenous ways of knowing, history and/or
- A valid secondary teaching license issued by MN Department of
- Experience with culturally responsive pedagogy and how this
translates to curriculum and instruction.
- Three or more years of successful 6-12 teaching experience.
Preferred qualifications -
- Experience teaching in a culturally, ethnically, linguistic and
disability diverse setting.
- Experience planning and facilitating professional
- Experience with Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain by
- Experience with cross-curricular planning, particularly Social
Studies and Science.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to apply experience with Indigenous ways of knowing
and/or world view to content standards.
- Knowledge of standards-based education that includes
familiarity with Minnesota Academic Standards across a variety of
- Organized, with the ability to balance multiple
- Ability to work with teachers with a large range of classroom
experience - either teaching or with Indigenous topics.
- Knowledge of culturally responsive instruction and a
demonstrated ability to implement and coach around these
- Active listener who can identify both the message and the
emotions expressed by individuals who have different views,
beliefs, and perspectives.
- Ability to maintain objectivity when confronted with
conflict-based issues and individuals.
- Ability to ask appropriate questions and transition from
concrete/clarifying questions to abstract and "big picture"
questions and vice versa.
- Ability to motivate and lead colleagues and knows and utilizes
a variety of resources to accomplish goals.
- A demonstrated understanding of best practices for adult
professional learning; coach, facilitate and train in small and/or
- Read, share, and apply professional research.
- The ability to effectively communicate information to multiple
stakeholders through various methods.
- Analyze and synthesize multiple sources of data to inform
decisions and indicate areas for improved practice.
- Ability to effectively use technology to support adult and
- Build consensus among a diverse set of stakeholders around the
common purpose of helping students succeed.
- Provide ongoing development and implementation of Indigenous
connected benchmarks based on a needs assessment.
- Work collaboratively with content lead supervisors, starting
with Social Studies, to evaluate currently identified needs for
construction and documentation of Indigenous benchmarks, including
revising current documentation.
- Work collaboratively with classroom teachers on implementation
of Indigenous connected benchmarks using culturally responsive
pedagogy and content best practices.
- Design and facilitate professional development for 6-12
teachers on identifying and implementing appropriate absent
narratives, multiple perspectives and counter-narratives using
culturally responsive pedagogy.
- Support the district professional development plan.
Keywords: Saint Paul Public Schools, St. Paul , TOSA-American Indian, Other , Saint Paul, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!