Communications and Engagement Intern
Location: Saint Paul
Posted on: January 13, 2022
AARP is the nation's largest nonprofit, nonpartisan organization
dedicated to empowering people 50 and older to choose how they live
as they age. With a nationwide presence and nearly 38 million
members, AARP strengthens communities and advocates for what
matters most to families: health security, financial stability and
personal fulfillment. AARP also produces the nation's largest
circulation publications: AARP The Magazine and AARP Bulletin.
AARP's Community, State and National Affairs (CSN) Group includes
Government Relations, Programs, Volunteer Engagement, Community
Outreach and Advocacy at the federal, state and local levels. It
delivers on AARP's social mission by educating and engaging people
50-plus and their families, strengthening communities, and
championing issues that help give people financial and health
Together with staff and volunteers, this intern supports AARP MN's
efforts to engage Minnesotans age 50+, especially AARP members, in
our mission to enhance the quality of life for all as we age. This
paid internship position focuses on communications and engagement
through digital, social, and other communications channels, event
support, and direct engagement with members and volunteers. There
will be a strong emphasis on assisting with drafting copy for
online platforms, creating web graphics, promoting events, and
direct engagement with our members, volunteers, and the general
public. The position will utilize these skills to support the
organization's community engagement and public policy and advocacy
- Assist with drafting copy for online blogs, event invites,
volunteer profiles, etc.
- Assist with tracking online engagements via Facebook, Twitter,
YouTube, email, and other channels.
- As part of the state office's social media team, assist with
drafting, approving, and deploying social media content, including
- Support outreach and member engagement events across the Twin
Cities, including event planning and logistical support before,
during, and after events.
- Support volunteer engagement with data management, writing and
deploying volunteer communications, providing volunteers with
various resources and information as needed, and other volunteer
program management functions.
- Assist in planning and execution of advocacy and organizing
strategies and operational support for advocacy
- Assist with writing and deploying policy-related communications
to volunteers and e-activists.
- Other duties as assigned.
Prospective intern must be currently enrolled in a degree program
at an accredited college or university; and be considered rising
undergraduate juniors or seniors, graduate students, or
AARP also considers non-traditional interns who are looking to
re-enter the workforce or change careers. This may include those
who have previously graduated college and are now enrolled in a
continuing education program.
- Interest in the mission of AARP.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills. Interest in
public policy research and advocacy.
- Skill in working independently and as part of a team. Excellent
communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to represent AARP
through written and oral communications. Strong writing
- Access to reliable transportation and willingness to travel
throughout the metro area as needed.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel,
- Experience with drafting digital communications on behalf of an
- Experience or knowledge in graphic design or digital design.
Event planning experience.
- Previous experience related to Public Policy. Previous
experience (paid or unpaid) with issues related to the 50+
population and/or experience working directly with that
- Administrative office experience.
- Previous experience working/volunteering on issues related to
or directly with the 50+ population.
Internships are non-exempt positions and are not eligible for
Equal Employment Opportunity
AARP is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse
workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. AARP does not
discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, color,
national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information,
veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable
Keywords: AARP, St. Paul , Communications and Engagement Intern, Other , Saint Paul, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!