Account Executive/Underwriter - Professional Liability
Company: The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Location: Saint Paul
Posted on: January 13, 2022
Company SummaryTaking care of our customers, our communities and
each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this
commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best
property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join
us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives
on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do
it.Target Openings1Job Description SummaryThe Bond and Specialty
Insurance division of Travelers is seeking to add an experienced
Account Executive (Underwriter) to our Professional Liability team.
This is an opportunity to join a successful, dedicated, and
collaborative team of underwriters in a highly visible and
challenging role. Account Executives (Underwriters) have the
opportunity to build a unique and rewarding career at an Industry
leader within a highly specialized niche of the Insurance
As professionals operate in today's increasingly litigious
environment, they could easily be subject to allegations by unhappy
clients who may feel they've been harmed by their actions or
inactions. At Travelers, Professional Liability provides insurance
for four professions-design professionals, accounting firms, law
firms, and real estate professionals. Professional Liability
protects against liability claims for negligence and errors and
omissions in the performance of professional services.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to
support flexibility.Primary Job Duties &
ResponsibilitiesUnderwriting in Professional Liability is a dynamic
blend of the following:
- Financial analysis/risk assessment: gather and analyze
pertinent information in order to evaluate the acceptability of
business risk within assigned book of business
- Marketing: build and maintain relationships with agents,
brokers, and insured clients to help achieve business goals
- New business development and retention: sell to, negotiate
with, and influence agents and brokers to manage a profitable book
of businessUtilizing Travelers' extensive amount of resources and
tools, a Professional Liability Account Executive (Underwriter)
will immediately have the opportunity to make an impact and will:
- Manage a high quality, diverse, and complex customer base
across multiple industries
- Partner with other high performing underwriters, senior
leadership, and a highly specialized internal Claim organization to
execute business unit underwriting strategy
- Design, develop, and implement a broker/agency sales and
marketing plan specific to assigned territory
- Leverage Industry leading product expertise and data analytics
to identify new business opportunities
- Benefit from cross sell opportunities and established
relationships within other Travelers' business units
- Develop personally and professionally through experiences,
coaching, active management support, and a wide variety of career
development resourcesExperience Travelers' unique culture which is
collaborative, supportive, and values the need to balance work and
- A minimum of 2 years of underwriting experience is
- A current/valid drivers license is required.Education, Work
Experience, & Knowledge
- 3-6 years of underwriting experience preferred.
- Bachelor degree preferred.Industry Knowledge:
- Understands the local insurance marketplace, industry business
operations, critical issues and financial drivers that affect the
BU, region and local office. Is able to apply that understanding to
the sales plan, pricing strategy and underwriting strategy.
- Continuously seeks out market insight from others and uses
acquired knowledge to assist less experienced employees.
- Product Knowledge:
- Knowledge of BU products/coverages and pricing and the linkages
to strategy and can easily explain them to others.
- Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and
procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day
work.Licensing or Certificates
- A current/valid drivers license is required.Job Specific
Technical Skills & Competencies
- Able to proficiently use all Bond and Specialty Insurance
- Can negotiate skillfully in routine situations. Able to gain
the trust of others quickly.
- Takes ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes,
performance and results.
- Can identify current or future problems or opportunities; able
to analyze, synthesize and compare information to understand
issues; able to identify cause/effect relationships and can explore
alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Able to remain energized and focused in the face of ambiguity,
change or strenuous demands.
- Demonstrates effective verbal, written and listening
- Can provide service excellence to internal or external
- Able to exercise sound judgment, make decisions and commit to a
- Has the ability to work with and include people from different
backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views those
differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals
- Can seek out, build, foster and maintain productive
relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve
- Can work with others in situations where a team is mutually
responsible to produce a result.
- Can takes ideas different from own seriously; able to share
responsibility and collaborate with others; accepts criticism
- Able to self-reflect on strengths and weaknesses and is willing
- Can seek out experiences that may change perspective or provide
an opportunity to learn new things.
- Can act as a role model for employees and keeps a positive
- Acts in accordance with stated values; follows through on
promises; uses ethical considerations to guide decisions and
actions.Employment PracticesTravelers is an equal opportunity
employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual
brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in
numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting.To learn more about our
comprehensive benefit programs please visit
Experience : 0
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Inc., St. Paul , Account Executive/Underwriter - Professional Liability, Other , Saint Paul, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!