Commercial E&S Underwriter, Northfield
Company: Travelers Group
Location: Saint Paul
Posted on: November 22, 2021
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other.
That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have
maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty
insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a
culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration.
Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Under general direction, responsible for the profitability, and
growth of assigned book of business within a territory that is
consistent with overall business line objectives. Marketing and
underwriting responsibilities typically include: Underwriting new
business on complex accounts. As a representative of the company,
market to and develop relationships with agents and brokers.
Working with other business units as appropriate to support market
penetration objectives and seeking out cross-sell opportunities.
Independently manages assigned territory and book of business,
including more complex accounts. Routinely sought out by others as
a resource. The incumbent in this job does not manage others.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Underwriting and Pricing:
- Underwrites primarily moderately complex accounts and risks and
considers different approaches toward risks to maximize
profitability (e.g., pricing, retention, endorsements, limits,
- Uses good judgment in making decisions within own underwriting
authority and makes recommendations on other accounts to meet
- Initiates collaborative discussions.
Distribution and Agency Management:
- Effectively manages assigned agents/brokers by developing and
maintaining relationships to write and retain accounts consistent
with business unit appetite.
- Frequently meets with agents/brokers and insureds in order to
build and maintain business relationship.
- Uses consultative marketing / sales skills and successfully
employs a consultative selling approach to market products to
agents and brokers.
- Identifies and captures new business opportunities and
effectively cross sells market segment and Travelers
- Develops agency sales/business plan and frequently partners
with MD to develop region/group sales plan.
- Negotiates skillfully in difficult situations.
- Executes Strategy and Drives Results:
- Develops and executes on a plan to meet business
- Anticipates and identifies moderately complex
underwriting/marketing problems, thoroughly analyzes available
information and makes timely practical decisions.
Business Planning and Collaboration:
- Fosters collaboration within the business unit and across the
enterprise. Seeks enterprise-wide solutions to business
- Assists less experienced employees when appropriate.
- In addition to leading self, may coach less experienced staff
- May participate in the training of less experienced Account
- Other duties as assigned.
- 2 years of Account Executive/ underwriting experience
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelors degree preferred.
- In some lines of business, relevant agent/broker experience may
- Typically has 3-5 years of relevant Account Executive
- Previous Excess and Surplus/non-admitted underwriting
- Understands the local insurance marketplace, industry business
operations, critical issues and financial drivers that affect the
region and local office.
- Continuously seeks out market insight and uses acquired
knowledge to assist less experienced employees.
- Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and
procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day
- Uses acquired skills and knowledge to assist less experienced
Licensing or Certificates
- Valid drivers license or alternate means of personal
- CPCU designation preferred in some lines of business.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Uses knowledge of internal and external factors impacting the
property & casualty industry to make decisions.
Analytical Thinking/Financial Acumen:
- Identifies current or future problems or opportunities,
analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand
issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores
alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Understands and uses financial information, tools and expense
management principles to accomplish day-to-day work and maximize
- Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive
relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique
abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization
and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit
Careers at Travelers
When you work at Travelers, life's most important moments become
your life's work. That means helping families feel secure,
businesses to prosper, knowing that you've made a difference, and
feeling like you belong to something bigger. It also means being
part of a team comprised of 30,000 + talented and passionate people
that are evolving to meet changing needs - from customer service to
data science and beyond. If that's more than you imagined in an
insurance career, it's time to join us at Travelers.
Keywords: Travelers Group, St. Paul , Commercial E&S Underwriter, Northfield, Other , Saint Paul, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!