Company: Ball Corporation
Location: Saint Paul
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Ball Corporation manufactures aluminum packaging for beverage,
personal care and household products, and provides aerospace and
other technologies for commercial and government customers. We have
been in business for over 140 years and is leading the charge in
creating solutions that keep our planet healthy. Ball Corp has been
nationally recognized as a leading company in the creation of
sustainable products (Fast Company World Changing Ideas award) as
well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity (Forbes
Magazine.) Join our team of over 18,000 people worldwide in our
quest to make the world a cleaner and healthier place. BE BIGGER
THAN YOURSELF. BE UNSTOPPABLE. BE AN INSPIRATION. JOIN US IN MAKING
THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE.
Primary Purpose of the Position:
Performs tasks and provides services to support the plant's
production goals, overall business plans and objectives as
Essential Responsible Areas:
- Complies with established job safety practices, policies and
procedures as specified in plant and corporate directives for the
safe performance of the work assignment.
- Supports and follows the guidelines of the food safety
- Receives verbal instructions, blueprints and work orders. Makes
drawings or sketches of parts to be made or repaired.
- Interprets drawings, calculates and determines indices, tapers
and other dimensions to be used for part(s).
- Performs layout work as required.
- Receives tools and paperwork; establishes and maintains
- Selects and grinds tools, adjusting tools, speeds and feed
rates for efficient machining. Machines parts to precision
requirements of tolerance and finish.
- Sets up and operates machine tools, lathes, grinders, mills,
- Performs dismantling, fitting or assembly work required for
maintenance or production equipment.
- Repairs and maintains all assigned machines and equipment.
- Accesses, inputs, and retrieves information from the
- Performs clean-up, painting, and housekeeping duties.
- Communicates pertinent information.
- Assists in inspection of tooling and operates most inspection
- Initiates, reviews, and follows all standard operating
procedures (SOPs) for area of responsibility.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within
the department, the division, the group, and the company. Includes
ability to handle stress and to interact with others so as to
establish and maintain a positive and productive work environment
and minimize personal conflicts.
- Required to work assigned schedule or 12-hour shifts, rotating
days and nights, Monday through Sunday working hours may vary as
specified by management. Incumbent must be able to work overtime on
a regular basis and/or be on call as directed by management.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required between the
assigned start and end times of work.
- Performs duties without posing a direct threat to anyone or to
property. Direct threat is defined as a significant risk of
substantial harm that cannot be eliminated or reduced to an
acceptable level by reasonable accommodation.
- Assures and maintains safe and healthful working conditions
while enforcing safety rules and regulations.
- Ability to work independently within parameters set by
- Communication. Ability to communicate effectively, write
effectively, read, comprehend, and follow complicated verbal and
- Ability to meet the knowledge, skills, abilities, physical
requirements, and working conditions set forth in this position
description and on the attached Physical Demands Assessment.
- Communicates with the emergency coordinator (EC) or
Environmental Focal Point/Environmental Manager (EFP/EM) regarding
environmental management activities.
- Understands and responds effectively to EC directions during
emergencies by being familiar with emergency procedures, equipment,
and systems, as necessary. Implements contingency plan to the level
required by the position.
- Understands, completes, and maintains environmental
documentation for which the individual is trained, or as directed
by the EC, EFP, or EM (i.e., inspections, labeling, record keeping,
maintenance of equipment, etc.). Reports to the EC, EFP, or EM on
the status of assigned responsibilities.
- Recognizes waste streams and minimizes waste generation,
through prudent use of materials, proper disposal and segregation
as directed during training or by the EC, EFP/EM. Understands and
practices proper accumulation and storage requirements for
- Complies with environmental regulations when using, dispensing,
or handling hazardous and non-hazardous materials and wastes.
- High school diploma or education equivalent required.
- Job-related experience for 5 years minimum.
- Ability to apply independent evaluation, selection, and
substantial adaptation and modification of standard machining
techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Must be able to handle sensitive related and proprietary
information in a confidential manner.
- Performs such individual assignments as management may
- Must follow company policies, procedures, practices, and
standards of conduct as outlined in the Ball Corporation
- Maintains an awareness and complies with hazardous waste
management and other environmental management requirements in the
workplace by attending scheduled training sessions.
- Ability to demonstrate skill in operation of grinders, lathes,
drill presses, and other machine shop equipment, working to
tolerances of up to .000050.
- Ability to read blueprints.
- Ability to demonstrate skills relating to tool and die
- Ability to work with basic math, algebra, geometry, and
- Ability to describe the sequence of operations to complete the
- Must maintain professional competence, ethical integrity,
knowledge, and skills
- Working knowledge of the following areas: standard machine shop
and tool and die practices; knowledge of metallurgy, heat
treatment, welding, and brazing; nomenclature of assigned
- Thorough understanding of the operating principles of all
- Works in a manufacturing environment.
- Works in an environment that requires the use of protective
shields, masks, or clothing due to torch flames, arc welding, or
- Climbs and works in high, narrow places to place rigging,
hoists, chain falls, scaffolds, jacks, skids, and rollers.
- This position is exposed to occupational hazards, including but
not limited to, high noise levels, physical obstacles, exposure to
- Must wear appropriate safety glasses, hearing protection,
clothing, and footwear in appropriate areas and follow safety
- Works in confined area(s).
Demonstrate Ball Leadership Behaviors:
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness: Uses a combination of feedback and
self-reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths
- Instils Trust: Gains the confidence and trust of others through
honesty, integrity and authenticity
- Interpersonal Intelligence: Relates openly and comfortably with
diverse groups of people
- Demonstrated Results: Consistently achieves results even under
Compensation & Benefits:
- Hiring Salary Rate: $34.08 (Salary to be determined by the
applicant's education, experience, knowledge, skills, and
abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market
- Other Compensation: This role will be eligible to participate
in the annual incentive compensation plan.
- Regular Full-Time Salaried and Hourly positions: Ball includes
a comprehensive benefits structure, Go to our career site and click
"Total Rewards" to learn more.
Ball Corporation has been made aware of reports involving
fraudulent job offers. These often appear legitimate, but Ball does
not make job offers until after a candidate has submitted a job
application and has participated in a face-to-face interview (In
person or via WebEx). All email correspondence from Ball
Corporation ends in "@ball.com." Please also be advised that Ball
will never request payment or require candidates to deposit a check
during the recruitment and onboarding processes. If you have
questions about any open positions at Ball, please visit our
careers website at https://jobs.ball.com/.
If you have applied to a position and have been asked for
personal information through LinkedIn, please notify LinkedIn
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender
Nearest Major Market: Minneapolis
Keywords: Ball Corporation, St. Paul , Machinist, Other , Saint Paul, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!