Company: Educators 4 Excellence
Location: Saint Paul
Posted on: May 6, 2021
Hiring Manager: Paula Cole
Application Deadline: Sunday, May 9
Role Tier: 3 - Manager
Our nation's education system is leaving millions of
students-including an overwhelming number of students of color and
low-income students-unprepared for college, career, and life. While
research shows that classroom teachers are the single most
important in-school factor in improving student achievement, their
diverse voices are consistently left out of education policy
decisions. For far too long, teachers have been treated as subjects
of change rather than as agents of change.
Founded by public school teachers, Educators for Excellence is a
growing movement of 35,000 educators, united around a common set of
values and principles for improving student learning and elevating
the teaching profession. We work together to identify issues that
impact our schools, create solutions to these challenges, and
advocate for policies and programs that give all students access to
a quality education.
What We Do
Our Theory of Change is grounded in two long-term goals that are
inextricably linked: better outcomes for our students and the
elevation of the quality and prestige of the teaching profession.
We achieve these goals by changing policy at the district, state,
and federal levels and transforming our teachers' union to be more
student-focused, democratic, diverse, and anti-racist. United
around our Declaration of Teachers' Principles and Beliefs, we are
building a powerful movement to lead this change by:
* Organizing educators who share a common vision of equity and
excellence in schools,
* Training and supporting teacher leadership, and
* Advocating for teacher-led recommendations at all levels of
government, within teachers' unions, and in the public conversation
Educators for Excellence envisions an equitable and excellent
education system that provides all students the opportunity to
succeed and elevates the teaching profession.
Educators for Excellence, Minnesota is seeking a Digital and
Communications Manager to promote our mission and vision for a more
just and equitable education system. The Digital and Communications
Manager will do this by leveraging the latest digital organizing
strategies, building and maintaining media relations and curating
mission and campaign aligned communications. This position is a
rewarding opportunity to leverage creativity and innovation and a
commitment to social justice through digital communications.
With chapters currently operating in Los Angeles, New York,
Connecticut, Chicago, Boston, and Minnesota, our organizing culture
is grounded in our passion for impacting educational systems and
revolves around an innovative, roll-up-your-sleeves spirit backed
by a shared commitment to antiracism and continuous professional
Reporting to the Deputy Director of Campaigns, the Digital and
Communications Manager will collaborate on a team that is charged
with recruiting volunteer educators and developing their leadership
in standing up for a more just and equitable education system. We
push for systems-level change through organizing state and local
advocacy campaigns, as well as supporting teachers to take on
leadership roles in their unions.
We are launching this new role across the country to ensure teacher
voices are at the center of teaching and learning in Minnesota.
This role will regularly engage reporters to uplift the voices and
perspectives of E4E teachers. They will support our movement to
build an online community of antiracist teachers fighting for their
students. They will create tactics and strategies to activate our
membership and deliver on significant policy wins for teachers and
kids. They will use communications and digital tactics to push our
unions to become more antiracist, democratic, and student focused.
In this role you can change the conversation about public schools
in your city to one that is driven by teachers and focused on
Scope: What is the nature of the role?
The Digital and Communications Manager will function as a program
leader specializing in advancing campaigns through both traditional
media and digital communications. Key responsibilities for the
Digital and Communications Manager will include:
* Manage media relations, developing contacts with members of the
media and maintaining press contact list
* Proactively identify opportunities for placing articles, op-ed
pieces, and letters to the editor in partnership with the national
* Coordinate media interviews with E4E staff and members
* Equip senior leaders with talking points, training, and other
preparation related to earned media opportunities
* Analyze local press coverage and keep E4E staff apprised of
recent media narrative
* Track and report on press coverage of E4E-MN and members
* Build and manage the E4E-MN communications calendar to identify,
track and plan chapter announcements, events and press plans
* Write op-eds, press releases, advisories, letters to the editor,
and other media pieces from a variety of voices
* Ensure the authentic elevation of diverse voices by working
directly with organizers and teachers to deliver E4E-member written
* Plan and manage the design and production of public facing
* Train staff and members on communications best practices
* Support organizers to develop campaign messaging and materials
that are impactful, consistent, and targeted to various
* Draft digital advocacy, social media, blog and website content
pertinent to E4E-MN
* Author email blasts, newsletters, and other local communications
for a variety of audiences including E4E members and partners
* Work with local staff to develop tailored digital messaging in
support of local campaign objectives
* Serve as community manager and moderator for E4E-MN groups
(including Facebook groups, WhatsApp threads, etc.)
* Serve as the liaison between the chapter and national digital
staff in sourcing and drafting digital content as well as upholding
best practices for email strategy and audience segmentation
* Ensure local priorities are reflected in national digital
programming and communications calendar
* Create and push out local digital content on national social
channels during live events
Cultural leadership: As a member of E4E-MN, the Digital and
Communications Manager will be a champion of E4E's Core Values and
Commitment to Anti-Racism. This staff member actively embodies
anti-racist practices in all aspects of their work, and pushes the
organization and their colleagues to continue to grow and improve
within these values by modeling a strong and inclusive culture for
their team and the streams of work they manage. The TITLE will
support a team culture where all people can thrive, grow, and
develop in order to further the mission of E4E.
Qualifications & Requirements:
* Three to five years of professional experience in related
* Successful track record of leveraging data analysis to drive
decisions, writing, proofreading and editing content, and managing
* Passion and commitment to E4E's mission; experience working on
issues relevant to our work; experience working in a
policy/advocacy/systems-change organization preferred.
* Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, or
related field or equivalent experience
* Ability to produce and deliver clear, concise, formal and
informal oral and written communications to a variety of
* Exceptional organizational skills, high level of efficiency, and
ability to manage operations and multiple projects at one time with
* High level proficiency, comfort and fluency with SalesForce,
G-suite, Slack, Microsoft Office, Social Media and presentation
formats like Powerpoint preferred.
Transportation: Often works in the office with minimal travel
requirements (currently virtual due to Covid-19)
Core Values - What beliefs do you embody? How do you approach your
* Equity: We look for opportunities to redistribute power in
response to inequity.
* High Quality Work: You ensure all deliverables meet our standards
* Achieve Ambitious Goals: We strive to have a transformational
impact on the staff, teachers, and students we serve.
* Adjust Course: We take a resilient attitude towards roadblocks
and adjust strategies to ensure progress to goal.
* Communication: We value clear and thoughtful word choice, tone
and body language.
* Ownership: We take part in finding solutions for the problems we
* Deep Belief in Mission: We believe change is possible, so we
equip ourselves to achieve it.
Positional Skills - What can you do well?
* Organizing, Planning and Executing - Able to organize, track and
manage workflow and resources; clearly articulates plans to others,
develops systems to prioritize tasks; executes according to set
* Cultivating Relationships & Collaborating - Develops a sense of
rapport and trust with staff and seeks opportunities to share
expertise and leverage the strengths of others; comfortably
communicates with external stakeholders
* Making Decisions & Demonstrating Judgment - Makes strategic
decisions, even in ambiguous situations; weighs factors both within
and outside of one's control to mitigate risk; exercises
discernment when involving others in decision-making, leverages
data when appropriate
* Thinking Holistically & Making Connections - Connects the work to
the big picture, identifies opportunities to streamline tactics and
* Conducting Rigorous Analysis - Uses rigorous logic around
aggregate data; performs a variety of analyses to inform decisions
with broad impact and solve problems requiring diverse
Functional Knowledge - What do you know a lot about?
* Demonstrated knowledge of media relations and press releases
* Exceptional communication skills written, verbal, and platform
* Experience writing effective email campaigns and demonstrated
ability to understand digital platforms and tactics to build
engagement and activists
* Ability to craft compelling narratives that distill complex,
"wonky" policy and advocacy priorities into emotionally resonant
stories that are accessible via social media
* Comfort working with various stakeholders, including senior
leaders, teachers, media, and other partners
* Demonstrated past experience planning and executing integrated,
strategic, and innovative communications in support of achieving
* Fluency in education policy and political landscape preferred;
alternatively, demonstrated capacity to quickly learn and deploy
this nuanced content.
Benefits & Applying
Educators for Excellence believes in providing employees with
benefits to support self-care, wellness, and financial stability.
We value the whole person and provide benefits such as; paid time
off, health insurance plans, competitive salaries that include
pre-tax benefits, and cell phone reimbursements. See more
information about our benefits here.
Educators for Excellence is an equal opportunity employer. We
predominantly partner with low-income communities of color.
Therefore, though race and other identity markers are never used to
make final hiring decisions, we place a particular focus on
recruiting staff members who share the backgrounds of the
communities we serve.
Keywords: Educators 4 Excellence, St. Paul , Our Purpose, Other , Saint Paul, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!