Company: American Public Media
Location: Saint Paul
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Who We Are:
The mission of American Public Media Group (APMG) is to enrich the
mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and
expanding the perspectives of our audiences and assisting them in
strengthening their communities. We aspire to be the leader in
creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for
curious people, and we seek to create a diverse, inclusive culture
focused on growth and outcomes to serve our audiences.
APMG's primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern
California Public Radio and American Public Media offer
multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social
media channels, live events, national content creation and
distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49 public radio
stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight
states from Minnesota, Michigan and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and
California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national
programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio
stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and
mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of
podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental
health, water, early brain development, business and investigative
As the Senior Visual Journalist, you will be responsible for the
daily presentation, project work and long-term planning of the MPR
News visual journalism. Your role oversees the work of the visual
staff and is an innovative newsroom leader shaping the future of
MPR News and growing the organization's relevance with content and
on platforms that reflect and reach the diverse people of
Minnesota. As a member of our digital team, you will collaborate
with teams and individuals across the organization with an eye
towards impact. You will work closely with editorial production
staff to ensure that MPR News is creating engaging public service
journalism while upholding high journalistic standards across
Minnesota is approaching 20 percent Black, Indigenous and People of
Color and the Twin Cities metro area is approaching 30 percent
BIPOC and we need conversations and reporting that reflect our
population. We want our visual journalism to reflect Minnesota and
we want a leader for our visual team who understands the need to
practice more equitable journalism.
This full-time position works 40 hours per week and is eligible for
Compensation Range: $61,700 - $96,300 annually. Exact salary
determined by experience and education related to the role,
organizational compensation structure and internal equity.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
* Oversee daily and project-centered visual story telling.
* Create, edit and produce photography and videography.
* Direct MPR News visual journalists
* Lead by:
o Advance a culture of inclusive, constructive performance coaching
and regular, on-going feedback.
o Encouraging creativity, invention and productivity.
o Advance diversity and inclusion initiatives in staff and
o Creating and encouraging individualized development opportunities
and plans for staff.
* Work with editors/reporters/show teams to assign shoots
* Oversee editing/production process
* Work with digital team in presenting visuals and multimedia
* Direct statewide contract photo photographer and visual
* Create/oversee radio show's in-studio visual presentation
* Develop/train non-visual staff in competent visual reporting
* Maintain equipment and technology
* Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
* At least five or more years' experience in daily visual
journalism that includes stills and video
* Experience leading a team with a demonstrated ability to foster
high standards and an ability to coach, inspire and lead
* Experience/accomplishment in multimedia reporting
* Experience/accomplishment working with a digital-first team
* Experience/accomplishment in managing long-term news projects
* Experience/accomplishment in growing audience
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
* Proven editorial judgment with a commitment to accuracy and
* A commitment to ethical journalism
* Ability to see and develop distinct news enterprise stories
* Ability to deliver visual stories of the highest standard
* Mastery of multimedia features, including text, audio, video and
* Mastery of standard visual technology, gear and production
* Strong skills shooting, editing video
* Able to work well and productively in an environment where news
is constantly changing and being updated
* Ability to prioritize work and make resource decisions
* Familiarity with and appreciation of public media and public
* Working knowledge of media law and its application to a news
service on the Internet
* Ability to work across a range of skills and in a flexible
manner, carrying out responsibilities in accordance with MPR's
mission, values and professional standards
* Supervisory skills and ability to recruit, coach and develop
* Leadership and personnel skills and ability to inspire, motivate,
train and grow employees.
* Encourage creativity and high editorial standards
* Collaborates well with outside organizations
Preferred Skills and Experience:
* Proficient in Spanish, Somali, Hmong or other language other than
English that is commonly spoken in Minnesota
Reporting To This Position: One visual staff member and a cohort of
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
* Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with
or without reasonable accommodation.
* Ability to manage some work outside of standard office hours as
* Physical Demands:
* Required to move about in an office environment and sit for
extended periods of time
* Required to move about in the community
* Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple
* Working Conditions:
* Moderate noise level
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran
status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and
encourage members of diverse groups to apply.
Keywords: American Public Media, St. Paul , Senior Photojournalist, Other , Saint Paul, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!