Application Analyst and Trainer
Company: University of Minnesota
Location: Saint Paul
Posted on: January 28, 2023
Apply for JobJob ID353090
Job FamilyInformation Technology
Employee ClassAcad Prof and Admin
Add to Favorite JobsEmail this JobAbout the Job
The Application Analyst and Trainer is a key member of the team
that supports research through providing administrative and IT
services for clinical research applications.
This role develops and updates live instructor-led and on-demand
electronic-based training offerings for a broad group of users
across UMN Health Sciences, Fairview, and external institutions,
including researchers, research staff, and administrative staff.
Another primary duty involves analyzing data from the clinical
trial management system to improve data quality. The Application
Analyst and Trainer also analyzes application and service
performance metrics by developing and distributing user
satisfaction surveys; makes recommendations on application,
service, process, and training changes to present back to the
research community. Additionally, they develop study-specific data
capture forms within a complex FDA-compliant Electronic Data
Capture (EDC) application.
A successful applicant will be an adept trainer, be able to develop
data capture forms, identify data quality issues, and execute data
improvement activities. They must be able to work collaboratively
with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders. The
position requires the ability to provide an exceptional level of
service and superior human relation skills for key interactions
with researchers, research staff, administrators, and research
The Application Analyst and Trainer reports to the Clinical Trial
Management System (CTMS) Director.
Lead, develop, and update the application training for the OnCore
Clinical Trial Management System (40%)
* Develop and design new online and live-presentation training
materials for a broad range of end-users.
* Collaborate with the CTSI workforce training and development
(WTD) team to develop and maintain CTMS training materials in
alignment with other core and critical workforce training materials
* Schedule and conduct routine training for end-users and work with
the with the enterprise OnCore administrative team to deliver a
complete training program for the OnCore application.
* Update online training modules in collaboration with CTSI
* Track completion of end-user training.
* Lead live workshops and advanced training sessions to help
individuals and groups enter initial data into OnCore. Attend staff
meetings within various medical specialties to provide refresher
training and to answer questions.
* Deliver training materials and training sessions, when needed,
for adoption of new features or functionality of the OnCore tool,
including new versions of OnCore.
* Review and provide feedback on training materials developed by
other team members to ensure alignment with the overall training
* Represent the University of Minnesota in the OnCore nationwide
working committees to ensure best practice training methods are
understood and adopted.
Analyze application and service performance metrics and conduct
data quality assurance activities. (35%)
* Elicit and analyze customer needs; design, and implement
solutions that may require technical, process, and material
documentation changes or novel solutions. Coordinate with multiple
stakeholders to ensure success.
* Track enhancement requests and submit them to product vendor.
* Lead process change projects and new implementation efforts
around new and existing functionality.
* Deliver quality, personalized engagements that enhance customer
relationships, loyalty and satisfaction with every interaction.
* Lead regular Communication and Collaboration group meetings,
engaging OnCore user representatives in 2-way communications.
* Develop and distribute routine communications materials, such as
electronic Newsletters, to OnCore users.
* Measure user satisfaction through routine surveys and recommend
changes to applications, services, processes, and training to
improve user satisfaction.
* Present user satisfaction results and recommended changes to the
* Develop and execute routine data quality checks and discrepancy
* Work with Health Sciences Technology staff to access additional
data sources and to automate QA data visualizations and
* Evaluate and identify areas for OnCore quality improvement using
a variety of tools and data from multiple data sources to decease
duplication and maximize uniqueness of OnCore data, improve
consistency and timeliness of required information.
Create study-specific Electronic Data Capture (EDC) forms for
research studies. (5%)
* Collaborate with research staff and Biostatisticians to develop,
test, and approve data forms.
* Provision EDC user access accounts.
* Train research staff on appropriate EDC usage for specific
* Develop and maintain the forms library within EDC. Develop
standards for form templates.
* Troubleshoot data collection challenges and provide technical
support for EDC forms.
* Develop and maintain processes/guidelines for creating,
maintaining, and testing data capture forms within EDC.
* Collaborate with the Compliance and Business Analyst to maintain
EDC application certification for compliance.
Provide application support and conduct other duties as assigned.
* Analyze and resolve technical problems while serving as an
escalation point for the most challenging and complex research
application support issues. Formally track issues. Contact product
vendor when needed to resolve issues.
* Conduct live office hours in alignment with the Clinical and
Research Support Center (CRSC).
* Provide backup for tier 1 support and maintenance as-needed.
* Other duties will include but will not be limited to: Provide
expertise, input, and support for new and ongoing OnCore projects,
lead OnCore demonstrations and Q & A sessions for groups within the
research community, and attend team meetings.
Required qualifications must be documented in application
* BA/BS degree plus at least two years of experience, or a master's
* Experience with web-based applications.
* Experience developing training materials, planning and delivering
live or online training.
* Experience with electronic data capture form creation, data
analysis, or data management activities.
* Knowledge of scientific and medical concepts and terminology, or
knowledge of clinical trial management operations.
* Experience using or supporting a clinical trial management
system, electronic health record system, electronic data capture
system, or regulatory system.
* Experience following instructions for new processes and
contributing to continued improvement of processes and
* Experience in an academic healthcare environment or clinical
* Education or knowledge of biostatistics.
* Experience building and growing relationships with application
* Proficiency with data analysis tools, such as R.
Working at the UniversityAt the University of Minnesota, you'll
find a flexible work environment and supportive colleagues who are
interested in lifelong learning. We prioritize work-life balance,
allowing you to invest in the future of your career and in your
life outside of work.The University also offers a comprehensive
benefits package that includes:
- Competitive wages, paid holidays, and generous time off
- Continuous learning opportunities through professional training
and degree-seeking programs supported by the Regents
- Low-cost medical, dental, and pharmacy plans
- Healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- University HSA contributions
- Disability and employer-paid life insurance
- Employee wellbeing program
- Excellent retirement plans with employer contribution
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) opportunity
- Financial counseling services
- Employee Assistance Program with eight sessions of counseling
at no costPlease visit the Office of Human Resources website for
more information regarding benefits.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this
position, please click the Apply button and follow the
instructions. You will be given the opportunity to complete an
online application for the position and attach a cover letter and
resume.Additional documents may be attached after application by
accessing your "My Job Applications" page and uploading documents
in the "My Cover Letters and Attachments" section.To request an
accommodation during the application process, please e-mail
firstname.lastname@example.org or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity
and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its
employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is
committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying
identities and backgrounds.The University of Minnesota provides
equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and
employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national
origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance
status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or
gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U:
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful
completion of a background check. Our presumption is that
prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal
convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from
Please note: All employees at the University of Minnesota are
required to comply with the University's Administrative Policy:
COVID-19 Vaccination and Safety Protocol by either providing proof
of being fully vaccinated on their first day of employment, or
complete a request for an exemption for medical exemption or
religious reasons. To learn more please visit:
About the U of M
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC)The University of
Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC), is among the largest public research
universities in the country, offering undergraduate, graduate, and
professional students a multitude of opportunities for study and
research. Located at the heart of one of the nation's most vibrant,
diverse metropolitan communities, students on the campuses in
Minneapolis and St. Paul benefit from extensive partnerships with
world-renowned health centers, international corporations,
government agencies, and arts, nonprofit, and public service
Keywords: University of Minnesota, St. Paul , Application Analyst and Trainer, Human Resources , Saint Paul, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!