Community Health Worker
Company: University of Minnesota
Location: Saint Paul
Posted on: March 16, 2023
Apply for JobJob ID351586
Job FamilyHealth Care
Employee ClassCivil Service
Add to Favorite JobsEmail this JobAbout the Job
As part of its mission to advance health equity through integrated care, Community-University Health Care Center (CUHCC) is developing a Community Health Team (or Community Health Worker team) to help individuals achieve their health goals and to improve population health at CUHCC and the broader community. CHWs will be fully integrated members of patient-centered health teams. Using their cultural knowledge, language skills, life experiences and training, CHW team members will support patients with health education, skill-building and health care navigation through individual visits and group classes/meetings. CHWs will also conduct outreach activities to promote health, assist with community-based care and/or serve as a bridge back to the clinic. CHWs' work occurs primarily during regular workday hours, but some evening and weekend hours may be available or required. CHWs will conduct their work in the clinic and in patients' homes. Occasionally, the work will occur in community settings such as schools and community organizations. There is some flexibility for working remotely.
This position reports to the Mobile & Community Health Director or Program Manager.
Individual Patient Outreach and Support
* Conduct outreach with patients to reconnect them to care with a focus on engaging women and children in preventive care such as annual wellness exams and up-to-date immunizations
* Provide virtual, home and in-clinic health education and skill-building support including self-management of chronic illnesses and medication adherence
* Conduct PRAPARE screenings and assist with social needs; refer to social work interns for complex social needs
* Help patients and community members to access CUHCC's services
* Enhance CUHCC's care quality by aiding communication between provider and patient to clarify cultural practices
* Facilitate group health education classes, support groups or skill-building classes
* Support shared medical visits for patients with diabetes
Community Outreach and Education
* Conduct outreach activities to provide health information and connect residents to health care
* Support direct patient care in community settings
* Helping with screening events, COVID vaccine eventsCommunications Support
* Contribute to the creation of education and outreach materials in print, video and social media.Administration
* Maintain accurate and organized program records
* Work cooperatively with partners and stakeholders
* Follow patient documentation and CHW tracking requirements
* Some programs require electronic health record data-entryAdditional Requirements Necessary to Perform This Job
* Must have reliable transportation
* Must have a valid driver's license* Must be able to:
* Communicate with people both in and out of the office environment
* Work at a desk for extended periods and travel to multiple locations within a day
* Lift up to twenty-five pounds
* Ability to review detailed reports and information
Job duties are subject to change consistent with the job class.
This position requires a background check, and negative TB test.
All required qualifications must be documented on application materialsRequired Qualifications:
* BA/BS degree or a combination of related education and work to equal at least four years.
* Minimum 1 year of experience working or volunteering to provide health education to individuals or Community Health Worker (CHW) Certificate.
* Minimum one year of community outreach experience
* Verbal fluency in Somali, Spanish, Vietnamese, Pashtu, or Hmong language
* Experience working with immigrant, refugee, or underserved populations
* Work and interact respectfully with community members from diverse backgrounds
* Effective interpersonal communication skills
* Ability to work collaboratively with team and partners to plan and implement program activities
* Self-starter with ability to juggle multiple priorities and meet deadlines
* Ability to use computers and related software including word processing, spreadsheets, basic database management, presentation software, and internet-based tools
* Passion for assisting individuals to meet their health goals
* Leading or teaching group health education
* Using electronic health records
* Providing case management or care coordination services
* Making home- or community-based visits
* Willingness to pursue CHW Certification with financial support from CUHCC
Working at the UniversityAt the University of Minnesota, you'll find a flexible work environment and supportive colleagues who are interested in lifelong learning. We prioritize work-life balance, allowing you to invest in the future of your career and in your life outside of work.The University also offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will be given the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your "My Job Applications" page and uploading documents in the "My Cover Letters and Attachments" section.To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
Please note: All employees at the University of Minnesota are required to comply with the University's Administrative Policy: COVID-19 Vaccination and Safety Protocol by either providing proof of being fully vaccinated on their first day of employment, or complete a request for an exemption for medical exemption or religious reasons. To learn more please visit:
About the U of M
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC)The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC), is among the largest public research universities in the country, offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional students a multitude of opportunities for study and research. Located at the heart of one of the nation's most vibrant, diverse metropolitan communities, students on the campuses in Minneapolis and St. Paul benefit from extensive partnerships with world-renowned health centers, international corporations, government agencies, and arts, nonprofit, and public service organizations.
Apply for JobJob ID351586
Keywords: University of Minnesota, St. Paul , Community Health Worker, Healthcare , Saint Paul, Minnesota
here to apply!