Director of DEI
Company: University of Minnesota
Location: Saint Paul
Posted on: January 23, 2023
Apply for JobJob ID353445
Employee ClassAcad Prof and Admin
Add to Favorite JobsEmail this JobAbout the Job
Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion - 9341A1 - Admin
Reports to: Vice Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion will:
- Serve as the principal advisor to the Vice Dean for Diversity,
Equity and Inclusion.
- Actively participate in development of Office of Diversity,
Equity and Inclusion (ODEI) short and long-term goals, and lead the
implementation of the Vice Dean and Medical School Dean's
- Create, oversee and implement the ODEI diversity and inclusion
strategies in undergraduate medical education, and collaborate with
the Office of Faculty Affairs to support faculty leadership in a
variety of tasks related to programming and day-to-day
- Serve as a resource for Department Heads, administrative staff,
and Medical School on DEI issues.
- Work directly with faculty and universities DEI committees to
support professional development opportunities in addressing issues
of equity and diversity in their work at the Medical School
- Develop processes and support for interdisciplinary curricular
offering and collaborative learning opportunities across campus and
in the community
- Serve as a liaison on DEI efforts with key contacts from the
major affiliate sites (Hennepin Health, Health Partners Regions,
and the Minneapolis VA); University of Minnesota Physicians (UMP),
including the HOPE Commission, and M Health Fairview.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the office, supervising
staff so that projects from the Dean or Vice Dean are prioritized
and completed on time and with accuracy.Duties and Responsibilities
include but are not necessarily limited to:
Strategic and Operational Management
- Develop and execute Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
(ODEI) strategic short and long-term goals with Vice Dean for
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- Advise Vice Dean on University and Medical School
- Carry out projects initiated by the Medical School Dean's
Office tasked to the ODEI.
- Oversee diversity and inclusion activities and initiatives of
- Develop and coordinate communications from ODEI to faculty,
staff, and students, and executive leaders in collaboration with
the Communications team.
- Serve as liaison to external partners such as the Office for
Equity and Diversity.
- Develop and manage the ODEI budget.
- Manage and oversee departmental and student staff
- Create a positive, team-oriented working environment.
- Conduct annual staff performance assessments.Faculty, Trainee
and Staff Development
- Collaborate with the Vice Dean to implement faculty development
- Creation of faculty development seminars; work with faculty and
staff at all levels to determine and fulfill development
- Assist with recruiting speakers; serve as the liaison with
internal and external presenters and speakers.
- Assist in student and trainee curricular developments and
interventions in connection with UME and GME colleagues.
- Evaluate and assess programming for effectiveness; communicate
outcomes to stakeholders within the Medical School.Data Management
- Lead data efforts for ODEI, including interpretation, modeling,
and making recommendations.
- Collaborate with all key data stakeholders regarding data and
dashboard metric generation.
- Work with the Office of Faculty Affairs to ensure all
demographic data is complete and accurate; work with individual
departments to ensure lists are up to date and correct.
- Oversee compilations of data including reports and needs from
- Serve as a communication liaison between communication team
members and ODEI.Miscellaneous
- Projects initiated by the Office of the Dean.
- Additional Duties as assigned.
- BA/BS in Communications, Human Resources, Business
Administration or related field with at least 6 years of
- Prior oversight and supervisory responsibility for a small
department or interdisciplinary team.
- Strong professional, leadership, and interpersonal
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills
with detail oriented and strategic aptitude.
- Self-motivated and strategic thinker with the ability to solve
highly varied and unpredictable situations that are often complex
and non-recurring where new and creative approaches are
- Experience in supporting and building initiatives that promotes
diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Experience working within and collaborating with historically
and marginalized communities.
- Administrative experience in a professional setting to include
overseeing programs and collaborative project management.
- Experience working with leadership and communicating with large
- Experience working in a higher education institution or
- MA in a related field.
- Demonstrated experience supervising, motivating and mentoring a
team of reports.
- Experience writing and submitting grants.
About the Department
The University of Minnesota Medical School is dedicated to
providing excellence across our mission - high-quality education
for students of all backgrounds; innovative and cutting-edge
research and exceptional clinical outcomes that promote health
equity. Through a variety of services and programs, we aim to
engage everyone in our collective work toward inclusive excellence,
promote equity in access to learning, scientific inquiry, care
delivery, and celebrate our diversity through cultural experiences
and opportunities on and off campus.The Medical School Office of
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion led by Vice Dean Ana Nunez, MD,
FACP, our team collaborates in the areas of diversity, equity, and
inclusion (DEI) with faculty, staff, and learners across the
Medical School, as well as partners from our communities to ensure
we are celebrating diversity, encouraging conversations and
addressing issues of inequities, bias and discrimination in our
clinical programs, recruiting, curriculum, and research.
The Medical School strives to create an atmosphere where
differences are valued and celebrated, knowing institutional
diversity fuels the advancement of knowledge, promotes improved
patient care and fosters excellence.
The ODEI includes the following programs:
* Center for Multiculturalism and Engagement (Medical Student
* Center for American Indian and Minority Health
* Center for Women in Medicine and Science
* Learning and Development Division
* CTSI /Medical School Early Career Research Award
* Pipeline Programs
* BA/MD Joint Admissions Scholars Program
* Mature Women's Health Endowments
* Post-baccalaureate programs
Working at the UniversityAt the University of Minnesota, you'll
find a flexible work environment and supportive colleagues who are
interested in lifelong learning. We prioritize work-life balance,
allowing you to invest in the future of your career and in your
life outside of work.The University also offers a comprehensive
benefits package that includes:
- Competitive wages, paid holidays, and generous time off
- Continuous learning opportunities through professional training
and degree-seeking programs supported by the
- Low-cost medical, dental, and pharmacy plans
- Healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- University HSA contributions
- Disability and employer-paid life insurance
- Employee wellbeing program
- Excellent retirement plans with employer contribution
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
- Financial counseling services
- Employee Assistance Program with eight sessions of counseling
at no costPlease visit the for more information regarding
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this
position, please click the Apply button and follow the
instructions. You will be given the opportunity to complete an
online application for the position and attach a cover letter and
resume.Additional documents may be attached after application by
accessing your "My Job Applications" page and uploading documents
in the "My Cover Letters and Attachments" section.To request an
accommodation during the application process, please e-mail
firstname.lastname@example.org or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity
and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its
employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is
committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying
identities and backgrounds.The University of Minnesota provides
equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and
employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national
origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance
status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or
gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U:
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful
completion of a background check. Our presumption is that
prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal
convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from
Please note: All employees at the University of Minnesota are
required to comply with the University's Administrative Policy:
COVID-19 Vaccination and Safety Protocol by either providing proof
of being fully vaccinated on their first day of employment, or
complete a request for an exemption for medical exemption or
religious reasons. To learn more please visit:
About the U of M
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC)The University of
Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC), is among the largest public research
universities in the country, offering undergraduate, graduate, and
professional students a multitude of opportunities for study and
research. Located at the heart of one of the nation's most vibrant,
diverse metropolitan communities, students on the campuses in
Minneapolis and St. Paul benefit from extensive partnerships with
world-renowned health centers, international corporations,
government agencies, and arts, nonprofit, and public service
Keywords: University of Minnesota, St. Paul , Director of DEI, Executive , Saint Paul, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!