Director, Actuarial & Analytics - Middle Market Commercial Accounts Group (CAG)
Company: The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Location: Saint Paul
Posted on: November 22, 2021
Company SummaryTaking care of our customers, our communities and
each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this
commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best
property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join
us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives
on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do
it.Target Openings1Job Description SummaryThe Director, Actuarial
and Analytics is an analytic leadership role that is responsible
for the implementation of a variety of actuarial/statistical
techniques and analyses which may include reserving, rate making,
pricing, planning/forecasting, project management and research.
This role is expected to execute strategic and operational
initiatives, drive change within assigned unit, provide analytical
insights and recommendations to leadership and business partners,
and share ownership of the business's financial results.The
Director, Actuarial and Analytics will work within broad limits and
authority on complex assignments requiring specialized knowledge
and expertise in breadth and/or depth in one or more of the
following areas: Actuarial and/or research methods Advanced
statistical analyses Broad business knowledge In-depth Line of
Business knowledge Broader awareness of enterprise Actuarial &
Analytics community. This role may act as a manager of a small
team.Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed
to support flexibility.Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead actuarial analysis primarily for WC line of business and
assist home office and field partners to optimize business
executionCollaborate and partner with different organizations
(Actuarial Product, BCO Line Management, business leaders) in
analyses, recommendations, execution guidance.
- Develop and monitor pricing strategies & execution across
Commercial Accounts, Technology, and Public Sector (flagged rate
strategy, forward-looking account disruption, rate decomposition
- Own and lead CAG WC granular rate adequacy analysis and
decisions and provide Plan support to team as neededPartner with
Actuarial Product on WC rate plan management and
- Evaluate benchmark disruption when there are model updates,
provide input to benchmark changes based on business unit
knowledge, and communicate final impacts and insight to field
- Conduct Field training for UPDP for Middle Market Benchmark
Tools and seek to provide and instill transparency and confidence
in benchmark indications.
- Provide business unit insight during Reserve Reviews and
communicate results to business partners including guidance,
recommendation, or reinforcement of business execution based on
- Perform and lead ongoing business execution analysis for
assigned industries and regions for all lines, communicate findings
to business partners, and collaborate on needed actions.
- Perform large account pricing, and be the team leader for large
account pricing best practices, communication of updates,
coordination of tools or factor changes with Actuarial Product
(ALPP) or within team (PEAR).
- Conduct Field training for AEs/AMs for Large Account Pricing
- Represent CAG in Enterprise factor study results meetings,
review and provide sign-off for factors to be used by CAG,
communicate changes and disruption to business partners.
- Provide actuarial leadership of support and analysis for Loss
Sensitive book of business.Manage at least one direct reportMinimum
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience performing quantitative
analysis required.Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- College degree in STEM related field.
- Associate Actuarial Credential preferred.
- 7+ years of quantitative analysis experience.
- Strong understanding of insurance products and industry.
- Demonstrated ability in actuarial and quantitative analysis and
- Management experience.
- Excellent communication, collaboration and
- Ability to present and translate complex information in
relevant business terms.
- Strong PC skills (MS Office) and programming skills (eg. SQL,
SAS).Job Specific Technical Skills & CompetenciesLeadership:
- Begins to challenge conventional thinking.
- Takes ownership of projects related to strategic initiatives
and makes recommendations to influence business outcomes.
- Proficient in Leading Self, exhibiting decisiveness and
self-awareness while also effectively managing ambiguity.
- Initial development of Leading Others, including modeling the
way for others and effectively leading team projects.
- Initial development of Leading the Business, including actively
engaging in driving business results, broad thinking and promoting
an Enterprise culture.Business Acumen:
- Has an in-depth understanding and knowledge of certain key
business drivers and disciplines such as: underwriting, products,
reinsurance, distribution, sales, operations, risk control, claim,
- Able to effectively utilize this business knowledge in
developing and implementing analytic solutions.
- Has a general perspective of the industry and developing
trends, including: technology, analytic methodology, products, and
performance of competitors.
- Is familiar with other key business drivers and
- Proactively build and own professional business relationships
across the Enterprise.
- Generate and solicit ideas, and build consensus
- Aware of potential conflict and address proactively.
- Acknowledge accomplishments of others within your primary
- Set and manage expectations with business partners for large
- Understand diverse perspectives to effectively accomplish
business goals.Quantitative Analysis:
- Able to introduce innovative techniques to existing
- Independently perform and implement complex analytics.
- Leads and actively engages in technical/peer reviews.
- May offer technical consultative feedback.
- Can assess various technical solutions to optimize analytical
outcomes.Employment PracticesTravelers is an equal opportunity
employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual
brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in
numerous ways from our differences.If you are a candidate and have
specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this
role, please send us an email so we may assist you.Travelers
reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below
the level included in this posting.To learn more about our
comprehensive benefit programs please visit
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Inc., St. Paul , Director, Actuarial & Analytics - Middle Market Commercial Accounts Group (CAG), Executive , Saint Paul, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!