Company: Shelterforce Magazine
Location: Saint Paul
Posted on: April 6, 2021
The Rondo Community Land Trust (Rondo CLT) is seeking an
executive director in its Saint Paul, Minnesota office. The
Executive Director will be an integral part of the future growth of
the organization. We are seeking a person with passion who is a
problem solver, who likes to explore new ideas, respects and
understands the neighborhood process for guiding community and
economic development. A person who will advocate for real system
change to create opportunities for low- and moderate-income
households and small businesses. VISION
- The Rondo community, along with targeted areas of Ramsey
County, has an adequate supply of high quality, permanently
affordable housing choices for low and moderate-income,
multi-generational households as a result of the Rondo CLT.
- The Rondo community has a growing economic and cultural
diversity due to targeted commercial and residential strategies
supported by Rondo CLT. MISSION
- To strengthen and preserve communities by providing and
advocating for permanently affordable, sustainable housing for
families and individuals with low to moderate incomes.
- To promote the utilization of the land trust model as a method
of preserving affordable housing and economic growth and
- Support and celebrate cultural diversity by providing
affordable business opportunities to increase community economic
wealth, property values, and jobs. PRINCIPLES
- Be innovative by exploring various development and financing
- Adjust to market changes by remaining flexible in community
- Collaborate with cities, county, developers, foundations,
neighborhood groups, realtors, and bankers.
- Advocate for the CLT model by promoting legislative and tax
change when necessary. In 2020 The Rondo Community Land Trust: ---
Secured funding for additional eight units of housing for the
Homebuyer Initiative Program (HIP) --- Partnered with the City of
Shoreview in the development of a seven-unit townhouse development
--- Secured funding to assist in the build-out of the final
commercial space in the Selby Milton Victoria Project --- Created a
policy paper on how the Selby Milton Victoria commercial land trust
project was developed, financed and lessons learned to help other
communities who are interested in creating affordable longterm
commercial space. --- Worked with Minnesota House Research staff in
crafting a property tax bill that will make owning a land trust
home in Minnesota more affordable.-- ORGANIZATIONAL OVERVIEW Rondo
Community Land Trust (Rondo CLT) is a community-based affordable
housing land trust working in Ramsey County. Rondo CLT serves
households with incomes at or below 80% of the area median.
Development activities include acquisition and new construction of
affordable housing that is sold/rented as land trust housing. Rondo
CLT is active in community development, research, and policy
initiatives. Rondo CLT was initiated in 1989 by a resident task
force and the Summit-University Planning Council in St. Paul. At
that time, a concerned group of neighbors gathered to explore
successful methods of permanently preserving affordable housing for
future generations. In 1993 Rondo CLT was incorporated. Rondo CLT
expanded its service area to all of St. Paul in 2002 and to
suburban Ramsey County in 2008. Rondo CLT is the first
community-based urban land trust in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area
and developed its own model to create and preserve long-term
affordable housing using a renewable 99-year Ground Lease. Rondo
CLT also works to promote the land trust model to groups and
organizations as an option for affordable housing preservation. In
2014, Rondo CLT became more actively involved in supporting the
economic vitality of the Rondo neighborhood. For 26 years, Rondo
CLT has dedicated efforts to creating affordable housing and
economic development opportunities in Ramsey County, working
passionately to engage the community in its work maintaining long
term affordable residential and commercial opportunities. Rondo CLT
also developed the first commercial land trust in Minnesota that
provides affordable commercial space for small businesses along
with affordable senior rental housing. Rondo CLT has an annual
operating budget of $198,684.00 (FY'20), with investment in land
and buildings valued at $3,201,970.00. PROGRAMS AND SERVICES
Housing and Development Production/Programs: Rondo CLT's current
development programs include: The Shoreview Pilot Project, The
Right to Return to Rondo Pilot Project, The Homebuyer Initiated
Program (HIP) and the Foreclosure Prevention Program.
Collaborations, Partnerships, and Advocacy: Rondo CLT is a member
of National Low-Income Housing Coalition, Minnesota Council of
Nonprofits, Minnesota Coalition of Community Land Trusts, and
Metropolitan Consortium of Community Developers. Currently, Rondo
CLT partners with the Summit-University Planning Council, Selby
Avenue businesses, and the Center for Energy and the Environment to
administer $312,000 in Commercial Vitality Zone (CVZ) grant funds.
We continue our long-term partnerships with Neighborhood
Development Alliance, the City of St. Paul, Ramsey County, the City
of Shoreview, and Dayton's Bluff NHS. Community Education and
Public Outreach: Rondo CLT promotes the housing and commercial land
trust projects with presentations to neighborhood organizations,
policy makers, foundations, and local area churches. Prospective
homebuyers attend orientations to learn more about how the trust
works and how to start the home buying process. THE POSITION The
Executive Director is a visionary leader who works with the Board
of Directors to carry out the organization's mission and goals. The
Executive Director provides organizational leadership and is
responsible for the strategic planning, implementation, and
ultimately the operational results of the organization. The
Executive Director has the primary responsibility for obtaining
funding and financial support, for assuring the highest quality of
services, for managing financial budgets and operational results,
and for representing the Rondo Community Land Trust in the
communities it serves. This executive is a passionate advocate for
preserving affordable housing and community-based economic
development. They are a respected leader in an organization serving
low-to-moderate income households, and promoting economic and
cultural diversity in our communities with advocacy, education, and
related services. PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES The Executive Director
responsibilities will include a combination of program activity,
housing development, construction management, community 'outreach,
leaseholder services, and organizational administration. Executive
- Provide support to the Board of Directors and Committees, in
particular; Executive Committee, Outreach Committee and
Construction and Development Committee.
- Work with the Board on setting organizational goals, program
evaluation and problem solving.
- Maintain open communication with Board and cultivate new Board
- Assist with financial management of the organization.
- Assist with development and monitoring of annual operating
- Ensure financial management systems are appropriate and
- Directly supervise the Housing Program Manager. Project and
- Administer the Homebuyer Initiated Program (HIP), a land trust
housing program for home owners.
- Coordinate sales and re-sales of land trust homes.
- Complete reports and updates for funders and Board. Grant
Writing and Fundraising
- Assemble and submit funding applications for HOME, Federal Home
Loan Bank, Minnesota Housing Finance Agency and other eligible
funding programs for housing.
- Implement the "Individual Giving" Campaign and other
fundraising plans such as special events and membership
- Research public, private and individual funding opportunities,
and cultivate new donors Advocacy and Outreach
- Promote Rondo CLT in the neighborhood and region.
- Form partnerships with neighborhood residents, churches,
associations, lenders, other non-profits, and City Council,
- Oversee and assist in the development of marketing
- Oversee and assist in preparing and distributing news
- Provide timely information to inquirers and supporters. Other
--- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors
QUALIFICATIONS Education and Experience:
- --- A passion for working with diverse communities in
preserving affordable housing and increasing economic
- Demonstrated interest in serving low-moderate-income
communities and experience working with persons of diverse
economic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Knowledge of the history of the Rondo community a plus.
- Candidates must have at least five years of experience in
housing development, housing finance, real estate, program
management, and/or fundraising.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in construction and/or project management.
- Demonstrated success in fundraising, including implementing
financial plans, working with private foundations and corporations,
grant writing, and relationship building with funders from both
public and private sectors.
- Strong management skills and supervisory experience.
- Significant experience in financial oversight and reporting.
Preparation of project pro formas, and development budgets a plus.
Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to innovate and develop creative solutions to meet the
evolving needs of the community.
- Skill in budget preparation and fiscal management.
- Knowledge of organizational structure, workflow, and operating
procedures, and an ability to endorse and manage organizational
- Experience and skill communicating with a Board of
- Experience working with external stakeholders including elected
officials, community members, partner organizations, and media
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to inspire the
trust and confidence of the organization, public, and constituent
- Knowledge of federal, state, and city housing policy and
- Experience in the political environment, legislation, and the
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in affordable housing
policy and programs
- Experience negotiating agreements and managing complex land and
housing transaction projects from start to finish, sometimes in
- Highly organized and able to effectively prioritize and balance
multiple projects and issues, and adept at assisting team members
with these skills.
- High degree of integrity and professionalism. COMPENSATION AND
BENEFITS Rondo CLT offers a competitive salary commensurate with
experience and qualifications. The salary range for the Executive
Director position is $68,000 - $85,000. Benefits include health and
dental insurance, paid sick leave, paid vacation and deferred
compensation plan. Additional Info: For further information on the
Rondo Community Land Trust, please visit https://rondoclt.org/ How
to Apply If interested, please forward cover letter and resume to
Charles Bradley, Search Committee Chair at email@example.com and
include in the subject line: Rondo Community Land Trust Executive
Director Search. Or, mail to: Rondo Community Land Trust, 626 Selby
Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55104. Position is open until filled. Rondo
Community Land Trust is an equal opportunity employer and is
committed to providing a work environment that is free from
harassment and discrimination. Rondo CLT provides equal opportunity
to all applicants for employment in accordance with all federal,
state, and local laws and will not refuse to hire any qualified
individual, or otherwise discriminate against any individual by
reason of an employee's race, color, creed, religion, national
origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status,
familial status, status with regard to public assistance, or any
other characteristic protected by law. ABOUT US Shelterforce is an
independent publication that serves (and sometimes challenges)
community development practitioners across the United States.
60 South Fullerton Ave., Suite #202
Montclair, NJ 07042
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Keywords: Shelterforce Magazine, St. Paul , Executive Director, Executive , Saint Paul, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!