Private & Non Profit Management Liability Underwriter-Account Executive
Location: Saint Paul
Posted on: January 9, 2021
Company SummaryTaking care of our customers, our communities and
each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this
commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best
property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join
us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives
on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do
it.Target Openings1Job Description SummaryUnder general
supervision, responsible for the production and retention of a
profitable book of business within an assigned territory that is
consistent with overall Bond and Specialty Insurance/Business Unit
strategies and objectives. This role does not manage others.Primary
Job Duties & ResponsibilitiesGeneral Responsibilities:
- Underwriting new and renewal business.
- Building and maintaining productive relationships with agents
- Consistently achieving budgeted financial results.
- Collaborating with BU and region colleagues as well as
internal/external business associates.
- Sales, agency development and management.Underwriting &
- Underwrites and assesses risk for small to mid-size renewals
and new business items in conjunction with BU strategies.
- May underwrite larger renewals.
- Considers different approaches toward risks to maximize
- Makes appropriate decisions within own underwriting
- Underwrites moderately complex-to-complex accounts/risks.
- Manages the submission and underwriting process for own agency
plant, working with more experienced underwriters if outside
- Can easily articulate whether or not account is within or
outside underwriting appetite/strategy, along with the reasons for
- Independently sets account strategy, occasionally partners with
AEO or MD to set account strategy.
- Makes recommendations to underwriter 2, as appropriate.
- For P & C, may act as an Underwriter 2 for Processing and
Underwriting Procedures for Small Accounts (PUPS).
- May input financials and is able to calculate key ratios and
more complex financial metrics, drawing conclusions about the
financial health of an account.
- In addition to, or in lieu of, financials, may review other key
metrics; makes decisions regarding pricing, capacity, terms and
conditions based on those analyses.
- n complex accounts.
- Proactively collaborates with regional and Home Office
- Maintains accurate underwriting documentation and
- Meets quality assurance standards.
- May act as a Region or industry resident expert.Underwriting
- Manages flow of new and renewal business.Agency
- Lead or participate in agency training sessions.
- May be sought out by broker/agent for his/her expertise
regarding industry and local issues.
- Primary agency or broker relationship is producer / internal
- Leverages agent/broker relationships to drive new business
opportunities via existing relationships as well as where there is
no existing relationship; continually prospects for new
- Achieves and/or surpasses agency/broker visibility goals.
- Acts as a business partner to agents and brokers. Uses strong
negotiation skills and deep product knowledge to meet the needs of
- Develops agency plant sales/business plan. Sales activities
should include some of the larger and more important
- Participates in, and may lead, underwriting/agency
- Actively contributes in Region and/or Business Unit sales
- Regularly attends agency/broker events and/or industry
- Takes the initiative to partner with colleagues in other Bond
and Specialty Insurance or Travelers.Minimum Qualifications
- A minimum of 2 years of underwriting experience is
- A current/valid drivers license is required.Education, Work
Experience, & Knowledge
- 3-6 years of underwriting experience preferred.
- Bachelor degree preferred.Industry Knowledge:
- Understands the local insurance marketplace, industry business
operations, critical issues and financial drivers that affect the
BU, region and local office. Is able to apply that understanding to
the sales plan, pricing strategy and underwriting strategy.
- Continuously seeks out market insight from others and uses
acquired knowledge to assist less experienced employees.Product
- Knowledge of BU products/coverages and pricing and the linkages
to strategy and can easily explain them to others.
- Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and
procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day
work.Licensing or Certificates
- A current/valid drivers license is required.Job Specific
Technical Skills & Competencies
- Able to proficiently use all Bond and Specialty Insurance
- Can negotiate skillfully in routine situations. Able to gain
the trust of others quickly.
- Takes ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes,
performance and results.
- Can identify current or future problems or opportunities; able
to analyze, synthesize and compare information to understand
issues; able to identify cause/effect relationships and can explore
alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Able to remain energized and focused in the face of ambiguity,
change or strenuous demands.
- Demonstrates effective verbal, written and listening
- Can provide service excellence to internal or external
- Able to exercise sound judgment, make decisions and commit to a
- Has the ability to work with and include people from different
backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views those
differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals
- Can seek out, build, foster and maintain productive
relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve
- Can work with others in situations where a team is mutually
responsible to produce a result.
- Can takes ideas different from own seriously; able to share
responsibility and collaborate with others; accepts criticism
- Able to self-reflect on strengths and weaknesses and is willing
- Can seek out experiences that may change perspective or provide
an opportunity to learn new things.
- Can act as a role model for employees and keeps a positive
- Acts in accordance with stated values; follows through on
promises; uses ethical considerations to guide decisions and
actions.Employment PracticesTravelers is an equal opportunity
employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual
brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in
numerous ways from our differences.If you have questions regarding
the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so
we may assist you.Travelers reserves the right to fill this
position at a level above or below the level included in this
Keywords: Travelers, St. Paul , Private & Non Profit Management Liability Underwriter-Account Executive, Executive , Saint Paul, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!