Mortgage Community Development Loan Officer - Minn
Company: Bell Bank
Location: Saint Paul
Posted on: August 5, 2022
Job DescriptionIf you like to work with people in a family
atmosphere, enjoy great benefits and provide a high level of
service that makes each mortgage run smoothly, consider a career
with Bell Bank's mortgage team.Company Information:Bell Bank
Mortgage is backed by the financial strength of one of the nation's
largest independently owned banks. Founded in 1966 in Fargo, North
Dakota, Bell Bank has more than $10 billion in assets and
full-service banking locations in Arizona, Minnesota and North
Dakota. Bell has empowered more than $18 million in charitable
giving through its unique Pay It Forward initiative, through which
every employee chooses each year how to help individuals, families
and organizations in need. Originally founded in 1880 by early
Minneapolis civic leader David C. Bell, Bell's mortgage division
today has thousands of family mortgages to its name. Bell Bank
Mortgage has been in Arizona since 1997 and is actively expanding,
most recently opening locations in New Mexico and several other
regional offices. Bell Bank has been recognized as a top bank and a
top financial workplace by American Banker, Forbes and Fortune, and
has been named among America's top mortgage employers by National
Mortgage Professional magazine. If you want to work for a strong,
growing, forward-looking organization with world-class employees,
this is the place for you. Bell's Values:As stewards, dedicated to
the growth and reputation of this independently owned organization,
we are committed to:
- Promoting and sustaining our family atmosphere.
- Providing unequaled personal service to each and every
- "Paying it forward" by giving back to the communities we
serve.Our Bottom Line:Happy Employees! Happy Customers!Job
Summary:The Mortgage Community Development Loan Officer is focused
on developing and maintaining strategic community partnerships and
growing and developing homeownership opportunities for
low-to-moderate income (LMI) individuals, families and communities
of color. Under minimum supervision, this position will be an area
market expert for and originate mortgage loans that meet
regulatory, investor and bank portfolio guidelines; including but
not limited to Housing Finance Agency, first-time homebuyer,
affordable housing and down payment assistance programs. The
Mortgage Community Development Loan Officer will lead and
coordinate community development activities and build and maintain
strong relationships with bank partners, government sponsored
entities, not for profit organizations and other community
partners. This position is a community connector that is driven by
the goal of supporting financial empowerment and generational
wealth building by providing successful and sustainable
homeownership opportunities with a focus on closing the
homeownership disparity gap. This role reports to the Area Manager
with dotted line to the National Community Development Manager.
Primary Duties: 1. Mortgage Loan Originations
- Originate compliant mortgage loans with a focus on, but not
limited to, LMI and communities of color:
- Responsible for knowing and complying with all Federal
Regulations and Bank policies.
- Advise customers on mortgage loans that are appropriate for
their individual financial circumstances, interview applicants, and
collect financial data and documents.
- Maintain high standards of client satisfaction and quality, and
ensure sales/originator systems and workflows are efficiently
- Expedite loans in process by regularly reviewing pipeline,
following up on documentation with borrowers, interacting with
title companies, realtors, attorneys, etc.
- Manage client referrals to ensure all new customers are
introduced to local branches and other appropriate business
- Originate a minimum of 3 loans per month or 36 loans per year.
Community Development (approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of time) Community
Engagement, Outreach and Training:
- Develop and maintain strategic community relationships.
- Conduct 3-4 business development calls or appointments per week
or 12-16 per month.
- Track: Date, Contact Name, Organization, Organization Address,
role, summary, notes, and follow up.
- Conduct Financial Wellness or Homebuyer education workshops
with local community partners and affordable housing partners (min
12 per year).
- Attend affordable homeownership programs and services
educational seminars, trainings and workshops conducted by state,
local and nonprofit housing organizations (min 12 per year).
- Represent Bell at community focused meetings or events (min 24
- Track: Date, event, targeted market reached, est. # of
attendees, evaluation, notes.
- Provide monthly training/updates to area staff on local
affordable housing products, homebuyer education and counseling,
have guest speakers from local non-profit partners, etc.
- Participate in regularly scheduled meetings with Bell partners
and provide updates or report outs as appropriate (e.g. CRA, Bell
Bank Community Development, Community Development Loan Officers
from other market areas, Area and Market Managers, National Sales
Group Meeting and Bell Mortgage leadership).
- Participate in Bell sponsored Community Development
Events/Activities in the local market, this may include staffing a
booth, assisting in planning, identifying local speakers or
partners to participate, speaking at the event, assisting with the
event details (e.g. Bell Mobile Empowerment Center, GSE partnership
- Attend Bell enterprise-wide Community Development
- Be a Community Development and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Recognize, share and celebrate Community Development stories
and successes. Market Area Community Development Goals and
- Manage the market area Community Development (CD) Business
- Track goal progress and report out to leadership.
- Track industry and production trends and propose adjustments to
the CD Business Plan and goals as needed.
- Track and measure against CRA and/or Fair Lending targets for
the market area.
- % of mortgage originations in LMI and minority
- % of Mortgage originations to LMI and minority borrowers.
- Develop strong relationships and communication channels with
Bell partners (e.g. Bell Bank, Community Reinvestment Act (CRA),
Operations, Compliance, etc.).
- Catalogue Professional Trade Association participation, Board
Involvement, Task Force, Advisory Group or Coalition participation
for area staff.
- Maintain list of key strategic community partners.
- Develop and share local Community Development Activity
- Catalogue, track and evaluate Community Development activities
for the market area.
- Communicate local Community Development training and volunteer
opportunities to area staff.
- Communicate local Community Development marketing activities to
- Perform other duties as assigned. Job Skills Required:
- Preferred three (3) years' experience as a loan officer in
first mortgage production.
- Thorough knowledge of pricing and underwriting requirements of
various mortgage insurance companies.
- Demonstrated experience with Affordable Lending products.
- Proven experience in supporting Community Reinvestment Act
(CRA) and Fair Lending goals.
- High School Diploma, Bachelor's degree in business related
field, or equivalent experience.
- Working knowledge of Community Reinvestment Act, FNMA, FHLMC,
FHA, VA, local state housing programs, TIL regulations, Equal
Credit Opportunity Act, RESPA regulations, local and state real
estate, finance laws, regulatory compliance and investor
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to
work in a team environment.
- NMLS registration.
- Proficient in sales and service skills; including
tele-consulting, prospecting, networking and COI relationship
- Strong computer skills and experience utilizing laptop
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to strategically plan to market and develop business
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to travel to and work occasional evenings and/or
weekends to participate in or attend community events or
- Ability to travel to different branches and to off-site
meetings to meet with clients or co-workers.
- Bilingual or multilingual preferred. Bell Bank provides
competitive compensation and an excellent benefits package. Bell
Bank Equal Opportunity Employer
Keywords: Bell Bank, St. Paul , Mortgage Community Development Loan Officer - Minn, Accounting, Auditing , Saint Paul, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!