Company: CommonBond Communities
Location: Saint Paul
Posted on: March 26, 2020
Home is the foundation for everything in life. Since 1971, our
model has been about supporting residents in finding stability and
achieving their goals. It's why we're more than housing-we combine
quality affordable homes with our on-site Advantage
Services-because we believe that with the right support and
opportunities, all people can thrive. Today, over 13,000
people-families, seniors, veterans, and people with disabilities
and other barriers-call a CommonBond community "home." Our core
values are Respect, Integrity, Partnership, Innovation, and
Excellence. We live these values and look for people who embody
them to represent our organization in the community. If this sounds
like you, please consider joining our team. CommonBond invites
qualified applicants to apply for a Controller position at our
Central Office in St. Paul, MN. This position is responsible for
maintaining all property and corporate financial records, ensures
accurate and timely reporting to federal and state housing
programs, investors, partners and various agencies. This position
provides support to various departments throughout the organization
and prepares monthly financial reports for management and ensures
strong internal controls of operations. Why CommonBond
- Work-life balance
- Competitive salary
- Employee referral program
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Employee recognition and rewards program
- A respectful and growth-oriented workplace
- A chance to make a difference in the community!
- Ongoing training and professional development ESSENTIAL JOB
FUNCTIONS AND ASSOCIATED TASKS Effectively manages department to
meet organizational objectives.
- Establishes and maintains effective, professional working
relationships with other departments, multiple banking
relationships, various governmental agencies, investors, partners
and multiple auditing firms.
- Ensures monthly financial statements are prepared and
disseminated to internal management of the organization.
- Assists the CFO in preparation of the organization-wide
- Acts as a resource for regional managers regarding budget
- Maintains the systems required to timely and accurately process
payments to vendors and employees.
- Coordinates the annual audit process with the internal staff
and audit firm(s).
- Ensures all monthly, quarterly and annual regulatory, taxing,
compliance and other reporting responsibilities are met.
- Prepares the annual financial statements for audit.
- Maintains operations manual for the accounting department,
including drafting and implementing revisions as necessary.
- Coordinates the successful completion of special accounting
projects for management.
- Ability to recognize, assess and reorganize staff, workloads
and departmental structure as needs in the organization evolve and
grow. Supervision of staff.
- Identifies, hires, and supervises accounting supervisors.
- Provides recognition and frequent feedback; evaluates
performance and prepares and conducts annual staff reviews.
- With employees, identifies and advances professional
- Ensures that training occurs for new staff members.
- Actively encourages staff learning and growth around diversity
- Provides back up support to staff as needed.
- Reviews monthly agency and financial reporting for completeness
- Ensures monthly deadlines are met.
- Coordinates and reviews accounting teams' consolidation work
- Ensures proper documentation and back up for all journal
- Ensures accounting methods are in accordance with GAAP and that
governmental and limited partnership requirements are followed
accurately. General ledger maintenance.
- Maintains schedules for assets, liabilities and
- Produces accurate monthly and year end financials for
management and board members.
- Reconciles bank accounts.
- Complies with all internal control procedures. Accurately
prepares reports for distribution to auditing firms, management,
investors, partners and various government agencies.
- Ensures timely property reporting to MHFA, MPHA, NEF,
Enterprise, MMA, NDC, WNC, Alliant, Heartland, Wachovia and HUD in
accordance with rules and regulations.
- Prepares monthly financial statements for multiple
- Prepares annual audit working papers, including Minority
Interest schedule, consolidation of affiliated properties and
identifies related party transactions for elimination.
- Prepares and submits Indirect Cost Rate Proposal.
- Reviews audit work papers, draft audits and tax returns.
- Monitors bank ratings as required by HUD.
- Reviews HUD REAC submission and data collections. Maintains
accurate receivables and payables records.
- Ensures that accounts payable checks are properly documented
and approved in accordance with established internal control
procedures before mailing.
- Ensures adequate funding for tenant security deposits and all
- Reconciles accounts receivable records to property management
- Calculate and bill management fees and escrow payments
- Ensures property management payables records agree with
corporate receivables records.Demonstrates a clear understanding
and consistent use of software programs, including but not limited
to YARDI, Ultimate Software, remote deposit and internet banking
- Administers online banking for staff and property
- Navigates throughout software on a consistent basis.
- Produces Reports in Ad Hoc when necessary.
- Assist with problem solving.
- Provides training to various staff.
- Produces monthly financial reports in YARDI. Completes other
projects as assigned or apparent. Provides regular, genuine
recognition to staff and/or co-workers. QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree in accounting; CMA or CPA preferred.
- At least ten years relevant experience with all aspects of
accrual accounting through financial statements and audit
preparation. Experience with housing or property management
- At least five years of experience as a supervisor of an
- Experience working with multiple sets of books.
- Extensive experience with Excel and computerized accounting
- Ability to design computerized accounting spreadsheets.
- Ability to maintain tight internal control procedures.
- Ability to use 10 key adding machines.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Excellent interpersonal, organization, and communication
- Strong figure aptitude.
- Ability to work with all levels of staff and management.
- Demonstrates ability to meet all required deadlines. PHYSICAL
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to type data into a computer.
- Ability to lift up to 10 pounds. OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Must be willing and able to work extended hours as necessary to
meet deadlines. This job description is intended to provide
information essential to understanding the scope of the Controller
position. It is not an exhaustive list of skills, duties,
responsibilities or working conditions associated with the
Keywords: CommonBond Communities, St. Paul , Controller, Accounting, Auditing , Saint Paul, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!